Monday, June 16, 2008

Not hiding Talents..













My Grandma growing up had a black grand
piano in her home. When her father was called on a mission to the Navajo Reservation, many great men would come from SLC church headquarters to visit him. Including President Grant! Yes, the Prophet! While he would visit, he would sing and play the piano with my grandma! You can imagine the stories she has to share. Years later her dad got rid of the piano so his children wouldn't fight over it. My friend Kim was gracious enough to share her piano and her talents and help take some photos of my Grandma once again behind that wonderful "Black Grand Piano". I brought a picture of my grandpa to place on the piano to be in the picture for fun... what we found was her reflection next to his photo! It was an amazing experience. I could listen to my Grandma play the piano for hours. Her Testimony lives in her talent and on those keys! I'm so grateful to be blessed with her as my Grandmother!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! I totally did not know Sis. Power was your grandma until we were moving when Brandon told us! We were in her ward for three years. She is so awesome - you are so blessed to have her for a grandma! She was THE BEST primary piano player I have ever heard! I can still hear the unique *fun* way she played "Popcorn Popping" and "The Wise Man/Foolish Man." Love those pictures you posted of her.

Jen said...

Oh - you forgot to mention how she does not read music and can transpose instantly into any key. I have never seen anyone so talented on the piano as her. If she felt it was too high for the kids, the next verse was low. I was the music chorister for some time when she played and she just amazed me!

jana said...

That's so cool! I never knew you were in her ward! Nobody else that I know can really make "the rains come tumbling down!" and "popcorn POP!" Those two are some of her most remembered!

jana said...

That's true! My grandma is blind and has all of her music memorized!! Primary, Hymns, jazz, anything!! She has a gift for sure! Thanks for reminding me to post ALL the details!! Glad you enjoyed her as much as we do!